Since you never know exactly who you are meeting, here are five general topics to steer clear of at a networking event:
1) Polarizing views about race, religion, or politics.
2) Personal issues that are weighing you down.
3) Habits that imply (or blatantly announce) a problem.
4) Lies that aim to impress, but could backfire on you.
5) Gossip about colleagues or people in your industry.
Put your best foot forward, and keep the conversation focused on business. When you get to know someone, there will be time to engage on a more personal level.